Kadima is currently hiring for a Bookkeeping and Administrative Specialist!
Bookkeeping and Administrative Specialist
Position Overview: The Bookkeeping and Administrative Specialist will work closely with the Director of Operations to record, manage, and reconcile financial accounts, primarily using Quickbooks Desktop and Google Sheets.
Compensation and Hours: A part-time, hourly, 7 hours per week position. Flexible schedule, compensated at $25 per hour. Likely to increase to 10 hours per week, depending on organizational budget.
- Remote only, including weekly or twice monthly online staff meetings
- Mostly self-set hours, though there must be some overlap time with the Director of Operations
- Regular office staff include the Director of Operations, Director of Youth & Family Learning, Community Nurturer, and Rabbi
- Additional staff include approximately 10 teachers for Kadima’s youth and family programming
- Many active though busy passionate lay-leaders/member-volunteers
- Write organizational checks and payments and record them in Quickbooks
- Record donation records from different payment processors in Quickbooks in aggregate
- Reconcile donation reports with reports generated from the member/donor database by the Director of Operations
- Prepare and process payroll, including direct deposit
- Prepare and process quarterly tax payments and reports
- Reconcile monthly bank statements
- Assist in audits and annual 990 process
- Make sure all employees have updated W4s, and maintain employee and contractor financial and tax paperwork
- Create and distribute W2s and 1099s annually
- Seek continuing education on relevant topics
- Assist with other administrative tasks as needed and hours allow
- Work closely with Director of Operations to streamline tasks and processes
- Work with staff as a whole to develop and maintain the annual organizational budget, working toward greater alignment with our social justice and equity values each year
Desired Skills and Experience:
- At least 3 years of direct nonprofit bookkeeping experience, or a combination of accounting education and nonprofit bookkeeping experience
- Skill and experience using Quickbooks Desktop in a non-profit environment
- Practical experience living into social justice values, and a desire to continue learning and deepening understanding of intersectionality, privilege, oppression, and equity
- Some familiarity with Jewish holidays, history, and practice, which shapes the organizational culture
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet critical deadlines. Including payroll, taxes, etc…
- Ability to make deadlines for others and provide support as needed to meet those deadlines (for instance, regarding staff timesheets, etc…)
- Understanding of the utility of current and historical financial data in planning budgets, events, etc…
- Understanding of the basic utility of donor databases, and the ability to create basic queries that return accurate results
Kadima Reconstructionist Community is an ever-evolving progressive community with the strong values of inclusion, social justice, and Jewish tradition for Jews and our allies. Kadima was founded over 40 years ago to be a home for radical organizers and protesters against injustice and bigotry.
Our website reads: “Kadima Reconstructionist Community is building a progressive community of inclusion, social justice, and Jewish tradition for Jews and our allies. Committed to racial, economic and gender justice, we bridge spirituality and social justice through Shabbat and holiday celebration, intergenerational learning, and solidarity work with #blacklivesmatter, immigration justice organizations, and movements to end the Israeli occupation.
We currently have active working groups/classes/regular sessions on intergenerational relationship building, RDEI (Racial Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) work, board function, immigration justice, Queer Yiddish, Jewish prayer, practice & culture, BIJPOCSM (Black Indigenous Jews/People of Color Sephardi & Mizrachi) families, disability justice learning, youth history & culture education, shabbat and holiday celebration, life-cycle, and conversion. Visit our online calendar here.
Anti Oppression Commitment:
Kadima has signed onto the Not Free to Desist letter (or see the Seattle-specific letter) and made a commitment to “reimagine our collective Jewish covenant, centering racial justice and equity.” We are also committed to creating a more equitable organization through our work to undo cisheteronormativity and classism and deepen our disability justice work. We are actively involved in a long process of examining and recreating our workplace practices, educational curriculums, programming, and more. We are excited to bring this job opportunity to our communities through a lens of equity and intersectional anti oppression, bringing in new voices to support our work to move us closer to a culture of collective liberation.
Applications will be accepted and processed on a rolling basis. Interviews will also occur on a rolling basis. The start time is flexible between now and July 1.
Please send a brief and enthusiastic cover letter (written or video) and resume to email@example.com. We will consider applicants on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Kadima recognizes the internal and external biases that often prevent or delay candidates holding marginalized identities from applying for positions. People of color, Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews, immigrants, formerly incarcerated people, people from poor and working class backgrounds, disabled people, transgender, gender non-conforming, Two-Spirit applicants, womxn, and anyone who has been marginalized by systems of oppression are enthusiastically invited to apply.
Kadima does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior contact with the criminal justice system, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We are grateful to Eden Village West, Rainier Valley Corps, Jews for Racial & Economic Justice, and Camelback Ventures for providing inspiration and language from their recent job postings!