With First Seder only a week away, I write to you, similarly as last year with my pointers to deepen your preparation into the holiday season upon us. (Already? HOW? Isn’t it still February?) Uh huh.
How to Prep for Passover in Less Than A Week
We've got you covered. Whether you’ve been cleaning for weeks or resigned to not at all, there are many things that you can do to prepare your body, mind, spirit, heart, soul, and household for the Season of Liberation. Thank Go-dness for the diversity of our ancestors.
No matter your capacity or desire for Passover prep this year, Passover is for all of us!
Here are some ways to still prep for Passover in an hour or less:
- DIY Matzah Making in 18 minutes or less.
- Mingle this Pesach by opening up your seder to fellow Kadimaniks – or signing up to be hosted. Fill out this form ASAP!
- Clean your fridge or your pantry. Alright, not the most fun thing on this list, but doesn’t it sound nice to have finished this one? Put on your favorite tunes and get to it?
- Have a morning-before-seder bonfire and Burn. Your. Chametz.. I see this as the "tashlich of Passover" where instead of throwing breadcrumbs/sins into the water, we throw breadcrumbs/arrogance/pride (the harmful kind) into the fire.
- Sell your chametz to a neighbor. Go knock on their door, or have Sephardic Bikur Holim do it for you.
- Decide that you have no chametz - with your mind, body, and spirit - in your possession (this feels like a classic Obi-wan Kenobi "these are not the loaves of bread you are looking for" move, which may be a way in for you too?)
- Read Exodus chapters 1-15 to refresh your maggid/storytelling
- Open your planner and trim what you can during the coming week to make space - for some outside time, a chat with friends or family, yourself.
- Check out Kadima’s Passover 5782 page and come to one of Kadima's assortment of events:
- Shabbat Passover Morning Service & Torah Discussion, Sat, 4/16, 10am-12pm
- Lunch, Learn’n’Connect: Climate Justice & Collective Liberation, Wed, 4/20, 11:45am-1:15pm (come when you can for as long as you can)
- 8th Night Earth Day Seder, Fri, 4/22, 6-8pm
- Adult Ed: Unforgiven? Pharaoh, Jonah & High Holiday-Passover Connections, Sun, 4/24, 10:30am-12n
Finally, Passover 5782 is Friday night, April 15 - Saturday night, April 23 (though some keep through Friday night, April 22, depending on your politics ). HOWEVER you celebrate, acknowledge, remember, prep for, gather around, ignore, or forget Passover is something our ancestors may have also done and something someone else in our community might also be up to, so you are in holy company. And besides, if you end up wishing you had done something else, there is always Pesach Sheni (our tradition’s built in SECOND CHANCE PASSOVER!) - so try something, knowing there is always another opportunity, sometimes sooner than we think.
No matter what it is we do, may it be a joyous season and may we get in touch with our liberation!
PS- As our Season of Liberation is still the season of war, be in community with this tool kit for solidarity with Ukraine